Let the countdown to the New Year begin! As the seconds tick away closer to the drop, there’s a question you’re probably asking and/or wondering about: Is driving worth it on NYE?
You probably already know that NYE is one of the biggest earning nights for Uber drivers – or at least it used to be. Now momentum is shifting in favor of delivery. Here’s why you should deliver food on NYE.
The #2 holiday for food delivery
If you’re thinking about delivering for Grubhub on NYE, you’re on the right track. NYE ranked in the top three holidays for food delivery in 2020, along with Mother’s Day and Halloween.
This rise in popularity can be partly attributed to more people staying home on the holidays due to Covid-19. With the new Omicron variant causing another spike in cases, this trend is likely to continue on NYE 2021 and into 2022.
Growing delivery popularity with restaurants and retailers
To capitalize on the continued popularity of food, grocery, and other types of delivery, more and more companies are making their products available on apps like Grubhub and DoorDash.
For example, JCPenney recently partnered with DoorDash to offer same-day delivery on 600+ items.
Because more offers means more competition, brands are working hard to encourage customers to order through their favorite apps. That’s great for generating demand for your delivery business!
Brands are also offering incentives like large discounts on orders. JCPenney is promoting its new delivery launch with a 30 percent off discount for same-day orders placed before December 31. So if you’re a DoorDash driver, don’t be surprised if your pre-NYE run includes a stop there.
NYE driving prep
The real key to a productive night of NYE food delivery is to be prepared. There are a few simple steps you can take to make sure you’re getting the most out of your time on the road.
- Check staffing concerns: Restaurants around the country are facing staff shortages that might impact their hours and efficiency on NYE. Take some time to find the spots in your area that will provide the fastest service so you don’t spend the entire holiday in a drive-thru line.
- Make a plan: No matter what, NYE is sure to be a late night if you want to drive during peak hours. Take the time to make a plan that allows you to rest and be ready to go when demand hits.
- Don’t chase the night: While ordering in on NYE is likely to be popular in 2021, next-day deliveries to soak up last night’s fun are also likely to provide great earning opportunities. If orders slow down, maybe it’s best to head home and get some rest so you can jump back on the early morning (or afternoon) orders.
- Monitor events: NYE is an event planner’s dream – but the rapid rise in Covid cases might cancel or change the hours of events in your area. Keep an eye on the major events in your city to start pinpointing where the demand will be. If more events cancel, food delivery will become even more popular.
If you want real-time updates on where the action is, rely on Gridwise. The app shows you where demand is highest in your area through an intuitive interface.
When you drive with Gridwise, you also get access to other great benefits:
- A collaborative driver community;
- An intuitive driver’s analytics dashboard to help you make informed decisions about your driving habits;
- Automatic mileage and expense tracking;
- Features that help you learn the most profitable times and places to drive
- Exclusive driver benefits;
- And more.
Are you planning on driving this NYE? Share your strategy for higher earnings in the comments or with our Facebook group.
Join the over 150,000 drivers who use Gridwise to get the highest earnings from their hard-earned miles.